August 17, 2010

"Look to Norway!"



It's not a great movie, but EDGE OF DARKNESS (Lewis Milestone, 1943) really stirred up my emotions the other day, so I decided to write about it in my latest "Classic Cinema Obsession" column for LFM.

It's your typical Warner Brothers WWII propaganda-type film, but its message about freedom and the sacrifices necessary for liberty had me fist-pumping the climactic battle scenes. It just felt like the message was as relevant today as it was back in the 1940s.

This is also a movie about the importance of firearms -- and what NRA-supporting conservative doesn't like that? Everybody is packing heat in this one, from sweet little old ladies to the town minister.

Plus, with Errol Flynn and Ann Sheridan -- two of my all-time favorites -- starring in it, I was almost guaranteed to like this flick.

Guns, Flynn, Sheridan, lotsa speechifying about the importance of fighting for your freedom -- how could a heavy duty right winger like me resist?

Having brilliant actors like Walter Huston, Judith Anderson, and Ruth Gordon in the supporting cast didn't hurt either.

I ring the bell for EDGE OF DARKNESS here.

No comments:

Post a Comment